Stay tuned: COMPUTER BILD trick will deactivate unnecessary Windows updates.
sC users who have switched from Windows 7 or earlier to Windows 10 are often confused by the abundance of updates. In addition to important security patches, Microsoft is constantly introducing new functionality, but sometimes introduces software bugs that lead to crashes and error messages. Windows 10 versions 1909 and 2004 in particular were full of bugs at first. If it was still possible to turn off automatic updates without any problems in previous Windows releases, then it is only possible for a short time in Windows 10. Anyone who wants to protect themselves from errors introduced or is annoyed by the flow of updates can contain it with just a few clicks.
The trick with metered connection
Curbing the flow of updates is not only easy on your nerves, but it could also be on your wallet. If you frequently or occasionally use a reduced DSL tariff, a UMTS or LTE surf stick, or a mobile phone with tethering function to access the Internet on your PC or laptop, you can use this trick to drastically reduce your Windows data consumption. To do this, an active internet connection is simply called a “metered” connection in Windows settings. As a cellular connection? Advertise. Of course, this also works for regular DSL connections: Windows then assumes that the computer user has a data contract with size restrictions and only downloads the basics from the network. This will make the applications started Downloading data from Windows Store, possibly paused, live boxes They are no longer up-to-date and only security-related updates are transferred. In contrast to “intrusive tricks,” which force the Windows Update functionality to shut down completely, security does not break down.
Set as registered connection
Read here how to declare your active Internet connection a “metered” connection and stop the flow of updates. Perform the operation on all networks in use, such as home and office:
- For example, to open Windows Settings, press a keyboard shortcut Window + I. Then click Network and Internet.
- If you don’t see the status page yet, tap status. Then, below your active network, click on Features.
- In the next window, set the “Clock dial” toggle to “On”.
- Been completed! Close Windows settings with one click X. If you want or have to fully update Windows, set the switch again to “Off”.
Windows 10: Updates suspended
With the May 2020 Update for Windows 10 (version 2004), Microsoft has at least relaxed its previously rigid update policy somewhat and relaxed settings to suspend its updates. Read here how you can temporarily suspend upcoming updates without the trick above:
- Open Windows settings using keyboard shortcut Window + I.
- Click Update and security.
- If you have had enough rest for a week, click Update stuck for 7 days. Click Follow up on updates You can interrupt the break at any time.
- If you want a longer break, click Expanded options.
- Under “Pending updates”, specify the date on which updates should continue. This allows you to suspend Windows updates for up to 35 days.
Free download programs
Set usage times
If you are still bothered by necessary updates and restarts, you should also adjust usage times. After that, the PC owner has peace of mind from pesky updates for up to 18 hours a day. You set the required period in Windows settings Update and security, Windows Update And the Change the time of use festival.