There are many reasons why one might want to know who owns a mobile phone number. If you want to know who called you, you have several options. The following tips will tell you exactly how to do this.
If an unknown number appears on the smartphone, curiosity is usually cool. Was that a nice acquaintance on the other end – or was he just an annoying insurance agent?
Most scammers will use a disposable phone number when they are trying to scam someone. This makes it very difficult to track them down. There are ways to find out a scammer phone number without the use of a tool, but it can be quite difficult.
This can sometimes be discovered using something called a reverse lookup, for example under Retrospective search at DasTelefonbuch.de. Here you can enter mobile numbers and landline numbers to find out the name of the owner. However, this only works if the connection owner agrees to the entry in the reverse lookup.
Photo series with 13 photos
Alternatively, you can also perform a reverse search using the app. The free app from “dasoertliche.de”, for example, is suitable for this. The app is available for iOS and Android.
- Download and install the application on your smartphone.
- When you open the application, the input field appears “Who or what are you looking for?” on the start screen.
- When you click on it, the standard search opens first. In the field on the right you will find the “Reverse Lookup” tab.
- Here you can simply enter the cell phone or landline number whose owner you want to know. If the number is stored, the owner will now be shown.
However, the chances of success in the reverse lookup of mobile numbers are rather low, since only a few are entered in the phone book. If you have no luck this way, using Google might fix the problem.
There are a few things to keep in mind when searching on Google.
- Enter your landline or mobile phone number on Google.
- Make sure to put the number in quotation marks – eg “0170 123456789”. This way, Google searches specifically for that sequence of numbers.
- With a little luck, for example, the search engine will launch a company to which you can assign the number.
Alternatively, you can also use the number on the gates like “TellowsIn such databases, where a number of numbers are stored, you can, for example, look up whether other users have already complained about advertising calls.
A mailbox can also help to find out the identity of a cell phone. You can listen to the announcement made by the owner of the mobile phone by calling his mailbox directly. To do this, depending on the provider, you must enter two specific numbers between the area code and the phone number.
Remember that the called party can see your call even if you don’t speak in your voicemail. So you must cancel your number for this call. How to do it on a smartphone I read here.
Cell phone prefixes and their assigned postal code in Germany:
|Deutsche Telekom||01511, 01512, 01514, 01515, 01516, 01517, 0151, 0160, 0170, 0171, 0175||-13-|
|Vodafone||01520, 01522, 01523, 01525, 01526, 01529, 0162, 0172, 0173, 0174||-50-|
|O2||01573, 01575, 01577, 01578, 01579, 01590, 0163, 0176, 0177, 0178, 0179||-33-|
This is how it works:
- For example, if the number displayed is “0170-123456789”, the area code 0170 indicates that the number was assigned by Deutsche Telekom.
- Their PO Box code is 13, so you have to enter 13 between area code 0170 and 123456789 – so you’re dialing ‘0170-13-123456789’.
- The codes remain valid even if you change the provider.
By the way: if the area code of your phone number belongs to a different mobile operator than indicated in the table, this may be due to the phone number that was transferred earlier. Because if the customer takes his phone number with him to another provider, of course he also keeps the area code.
With a practical key combination, you can block your phone number to make a call with any smartphone. Open the dialing field/numeric keypad on your smartphone. Enter the key combination # 31 # and append the number to be called. Your call appears as unknown on the caller’s terminal screen.
Searching via WhatsApp messenger service can also be very promising.
- To do this, you have to save the unknown number in the address book of your smartphone.
- Then open WhatsApp and tap on the icon with which you are writing a new message.
- In the address book that now opens, select the unknown number. The chat window then opens.
- Here in the window, you can then read a proper name for the number if the person logged into WhatsApp and gave a name there.
This trick does not only work on WhatsApp. Users also give their phone numbers to other messengers or social networks such as Facebook, Twitter or TikTok in order to verify the account.
If you give your TikTok account number, for example, you should remember that other users can of course find you too. If you do not want this, you can deactivate the corresponding option in the privacy settings.
So there are four ways you can find out mobile numbers for free
- Use a reverse phone book lookup on the Internet or via the app.
- Try to find phone numbers through Google or portals like Tellows.
- Call the caller’s mailbox directly to hear the mailbox announcement and find out the name. To do this, add the following numbers to the phone number after the area code: 13 for Deutsche Telekom, 50 for Vodafone and 33 for O2.
- Use the WhatsApp trick: Save an unknown number in the address book and view the contact information of the number in WhatsApp.
If the repeat call includes stalking, harassment or even threats, you should definitely call the police and ask them to find the caller as soon as possible to eventually stop the harassment
“Devoted gamer. Webaholic. Infuriatingly humble social media trailblazer. Lifelong internet expert.”